Our congratulations and heartfelt thanks go out to Nate as he celebrates his second year here at ASI! Nate’s steady tenacity and curiosity make him not only a great software developer, but a natural teacher and mentor around the office. This also makes him the ideal person to fill in with a few different customers and bring new skills and ideas to each!
1. What did you want to be when you were a kid? Superhero, then after growing up a bit more, professional tennis player.
2. Favorite memory from work? Working grounds crew during the 2004 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits.
3. Any favorite line(s) from different movies?
- “But I’m funny how, I mean, funny like I’m a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh?” -Goodfellas, Joe Pesci
- “They speak English in what?” – Pulp Fiction, Samuel Jackson
- “Why so serious.” – The Dark Knight, Heath Ledger
4. Tell us something that might surprise us about you. My eyes have a color deficiency, where I have a hard time distinguishing different shades of the same color. If you ever try those color dot tests where a number is hidden in the dots, I fail those miserably.
5. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? Speak a foreign language fluently.
6. What are three words you’d use to describe ASI?
7. What is the first thing you would do if you won the lottery? Renovate our old barn into a new house. The exterior would stay the same mostly, but the interior would be completely redone.
8. Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why? Rome, Italy, because there is lots to do and see.
9. If you could be an animal, what would you be? Eagle. Being able to fly would be awesome. Also, since it is a symbol of the USA, it means you should be protected from hunters/poachers.
10. What’s the last book you read? Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.
11. What are some of your pet peeves?
- Unformatted Code
- Midwestern Goodbyes. This is when you say you are leaving but then get caught in another conversation for 30 minutes.
- People who linger in the left lane going the speed limit while driving.
- Passing someone because they are going too slow, only to then be passed by that same person a few seconds later.
12. Which four individuals, living and dead, would you like to eat dinner with the most?
- George Washington
- Elon Musk
- Roger Federer
13. What is/was your favorite family tradition? When my sister lived in New York City, my parents, brother, and I would all go there for Thanksgiving. We did that at least five years in a row, maybe more.
14. If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose? Mister Mxyzptlk (from Superman)
15. At what age did you become an adult? I don’t think you ever become an adult because a lot of adults still act like children, including myself.
16. What would you most like to tell yourself at age 13? After high school, work/volunteer/travel for a few years before starting college and invest thousands of dollars in Bitcoin as soon as possible.
17. How do you define success? If you are happy or not.
18. How did you first learn about ASI? I never heard of them until one of the managers contacted me through LinkedIn when I was getting close to finishing my master’s degree.
19. What do you find most challenging at ASI? Working with legacy systems where stack overflow or google can’t help.
20. What three things would you bring if you were stuck on an island?
- Waterproof Tent
- Fishing Net
21. What has been the most important innovation you have witnessed in your lifetime? High-speed Internet
22. What is an ability you wish you had? Be able to eat gluten (I have celiac disease).
23. What is your favorite childhood memory? Playing catch in our backyard with my brother and my dad.
24. Where would you like to travel to?
- New Zealand
- Machu Picchu
25. Which one would you want most – flying cars, robot housekeepers, or moon cities? Moon Cities
26. What’s the latest movie you saw that you really enjoyed? Dune (2021)
Nate recently added one more title to his resume; Dad! Congrats Nate! We’re so lucky to have you here at ASI and are looking forward to many more years!