Whether it’s learning a new sport or finding and debugging an entire database, Michael tackles everything with a calm smile and a tenacious spirit. Read on to find out why he has a favorite number (seven), who he’s not ashamed to watch on tv (the bachelor) and which season is his favorite (trick question!).
1. When you have 30 minutes of free time, how do you pass the time? Fantasy Baseball or WSOP Poker.
2. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? An orange crayon. Broken into many usable pieces. Scattered throughout an ice cream tub of hundreds of other broken crayons.
3. What is the first concert you attended? AWOLNATION – U.S. Cellular Stage @ Summerfest 2012. Since then, I have attended more concerts than I can count and worked security for a handful.
4. What music is on your iPhone/Android phone? A little bit of everything depending on the time of year – Summer tends to be a lot more of country. Some most recently added artists to my playlist include: AJR, Zac Brown Band, Rebelution, Thomas Rhett, They Might Be Giants, Canaan Smith, Luke Combs. I got on a Nickelback binge for one full day only this week.
5. What chore do you enjoy doing? I enjoy deep cleaning my home and the feeling of satisfaction one gets when something goes from dirty to squeaky clean. Once a cleaning begins, it doesn’t stop until every nook and cranny shines.
6. What’s the last book you read? George W. Bush Decision Points.
7. What’s the last movie you saw that you really enjoyed? Freak Street Part I, Part II, and Part III.
8. What’s the coolest thing you’re working on right now? This questionnaire.
9. What is your favorite family tradition? Fourth of July. It is a family tradition to celebrate the fourth spending the day grilling out, drinking cold beverages, playing yard games, and watching the fireworks. I have numerous memories from past Fourth of July’s that I will always cherish.
10. If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose? Bootlegger and Enigmatic Multi-Millionaire Jay Gatsby
11. What is your favorite sport? Baseball. Always.
12. Have you ever had something happen to you that you thought was bad, but it turned out to be for the best? YUPP!
13. Before working at ASI, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had? The summer of 2012 I worked for the City of Sheboygan Parks & Rec department. I spent all day maintaining the cities softball diamonds and keeping those parks’ aesthetics on point by whipping around on a zero-turn. But oddly enough, the most enjoyable part of the job was riding on the back of the garbage truck twice a week and collecting all the cities park garbage.
14. How did you first learn about ASI? There is a saying that goes something like, “It’s not what you know. It’s who you know.” I went to High School with the owner’s son, Eric. Halfway through my last semester of undergraduate, Eric reached out to me about the job opening and piqued my interest.
At that time, I was 100% focused on course work and an internship. This held me from beginning the process of searching and applying for jobs.
As graduation approached, it was time to begin the job search… or not? Right as I started to look around, Andrew followed up with me via LinkedIn. Right there and then I sent over my resume, and the rest is history!
“It’s not what you know. It’s who you know.” It does help to know a thing or two though.
15. How do you define success? “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” – Maya Angelou
16. What is your favorite part about working for ASI? I feel like this is a trick question – who can pick just one?
17. What is the last joke you recall? Post-credit scene of Greg and Katie’s one-on-one from last week’s episode of the Bachelorette. Greg told Katie the joke: Two olives were sitting at a bar having a couple of martinis, when all of a sudden, one olive falls off his chair and hits the ground. The other olive looks down at him and says, “Oh man, are you okay?” The olive looks up at him and says, “Yes, Ol-live.”
18. What is your role at ASI? ‘Round here I am called Boss Man or President. On a normal day, when I am not busy managing the overall operations and resources of the company, I can be found providing technical support for Nonprofits Insurance Alliance. I act as an extension to their staff by working alongside and collaborating with NP’s staff and underwriters to sustain their software, address and fix system bugs, and provide database management to help provide accurately tailored and specialized liability and property insurance.
19. What is something you learned in the last week? That a Rooster is a male chicken. That hens will lay eggs whether there’s a rooster around or not.
20. Any random facts you could share with us? I am an open book; just ask! In the meantime, here are some random fun facts in chronological order:
I was born on April 7th, 1994. S/O to my parents for that.
I was an ugly baby, or so I was told. Had to start out ugly to become good-looking because it was only up from there.
I did some acting as a child for The Sheboygan Theatre Company and to this day am still surprised I didn’t make it to the big leagues of child acting.
The Dickens Christmas Carol Show (2002) – Choir
Peter Pan (2003) – Lost Boy
A Christmas Story (2004) – Flick
I often scratch and cut my back while I sleep. I find it bizarre but also gnarly.
I have never broken a bone but am a person who should’ve broken a hundred by now.
I took up shooting Darts in February, and on Wednesdays can be found shooting league.
I enjoy all four seasons, including Winter.
21. Do you have an office nickname? What is it? Sneetches.
Origin is derived from Dr. Seuss and is my gamertag within the realm of video games.
Hello, I am Sneetches; it’s nice to meet you.
22.What celebrity do people think you look like? I get told I look like this or that celebrity randomly all the time. A few of the most common are Jake Gyllenhaal, Bradley Cooper, Joaquin Pheonix, Thomas Rhett, some guy from impractical jokers I don’t even know, Zac Efron . . .the list can go on. It’s the beard.
23. What else do you do for fun? Write Andrew motivational notes and post them in his office to find.
24. What is an ability you wish you had? Instant Learning – The ability to instantly gather and understand any knowledge via supernatural means. Both passively and actively. Example: To learn any fighting technique at first glance and the ability to learn instantly and master.
25. What is your favorite number and why? Seven.
The day of rest.
The 7 wonders of the world.
The 7 deadly sins.
A prime number.
A classy and lucky number in gambling. I can picture Kenny Rogers singing, “When you hit those lucky seven’s…” with a glass of whiskey in his left hand.
The perfect playoff number for sports.
7 seas. 7 continents. 7 colors of the rainbow.
The only single-digit number that has two syllables.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
I was born on the seventh.
Tom Brady has seven rings.
Just to name a few reasons why seven is my favorite.
26. What tv show/movie are you ashamed to admit you love? I wouldn’t say ashamed, but I will admit I leave my man card at the door and own my love for watching the bachelor/bachelorette. You can find shout-outs to the show scattered throughout the office.
27. Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why? After watching the Free Solo a couple two, tree, four times… I was inspired and had to get myself over der to Yosemite.
28. Where would you like to travel to? Zion National Park to take on perhaps the most dangerous hike in any national park in the country, Angels Landing.
Michael, it is truly a joy to have you in the office. Thank you for always providing a listening ear and a unique perspective!